I have almost 8 years of experience in maintaining several websites and blogs. Today I am noting down few important Search Engine Optimization(SEO) tips. It will help you to boost your site traffic. Obviously more traffic is all what any site owner wish for.
I do not want to drag you through. Lets go through the points one by one.
- Most important point, love what you do. Love what you write. Ensure that you would love reading such an article which you write. Before writing for cube3x, I had tried several blogs in blogger, wordpress etc just to make money using ads. I stopped it after few months, as It was not motivating me anymore. The reason was I was maintaining those blogs for money. But now I am not much bothered about money. I just simply love each post when I write and in 6 months time after setting up cube3x blog, I can see the slow and natural increase in traffic through Google Analytics.
- Write a Descriptive Title for the page in h1 tag, preferably less than 70 characters. Its all about providing more details. When users search for a specific query in Google, Your title appears first due to its more suitable match.
- Express your content in short sentences. Make it readable even for young children. Not all your readers are high english scholars or yo yo guys.
- I am not a person who says, you have to write content for money. Just free your mind and keep writing. Money will follow
- An article with minimum 300 words is best. But it is ok if 1 out of 5 articles which is less than 300 words.
- Write a meta description tag with maximum of 156 characters. Mention your keyword in meta description once. Do not spam it with multiple keywords.
- Add appropriate sub headings in the page. It can be inside an h2 tag. One of the sub heading should contain the key word
- Make sure that the url of page is readable. http://example.com/27-effective-tips-on-dog-training is better than http://example.com/?p=453
- Add proper social meta tags for facebook, twitter and linkedin. We dont know which site takes your page viral.
- Write proper alt description for site images
- Make link text descriptive. Example, if you wish to provide a link to your page: http://abc.com/best-seo-practices. The hyperlink text can be “Best SEO Tips” rather than “Click Here for Extras”
- Highlight important phrases or keywords using bold or italics. It will retain visitor attention and reduces bounce rate of the site
- Add relevant rel=”nofollow” to anchor tags to preserve link and PageRank Credibility
- Ensure that your keyword density is less than 4.5 after completing your article. Sometimes we go on writing about our passion and forget that we are crowding the article with our keyword. Use Yoast SEO plugin for wordpress to calculate keyword density
- Add Google xml sitemap to your site. You can find more about writing xml sitemaps here.
- Add proper robots.txt file to site root folder
- Verify your site using google site verification methods. You can do this by visiting Google Webmaster Tools. Verifying a site in google helps in many occasions. One advantage is in Google Analytics. You can find more metrics if site is verified.Setting author pages in google plus is easy if the site is verified. Google automatically finds that the google plus profile given is the author of the verified site.
- Check site traffic trends using Google Analytics. Always check the reason for unusual drop or hike in web traffic. Drop can be because of server down, corrupt .htaccess file, invalid permalink etc. Hike can be because of a DDOS attack.
- Write a guest article in a popular blog. A backlink from a high ranked site is like a nitro booster in SEO. I was not much bothered about backlinks. But the importance of backlinks was understood through my experience. I wrote a jQuery plugin last year. It was listed in major sites likewebresourcesdepot.com, webappers.com and around 5 other major sites. I found after around 2 weeks that my jQuery plugin page is on the first page of Google Search for certain queries.
- If you are writing a blog, avoid bulk addition of tags. Excessive tagging degrades SEO performance.
- Try to make your site responsive. Creating different site for mobiles or tablets generates multiple page for same content. This divides your PR juice unnecessarily between various links.
- Try to be an author who is in many Google plus circles. This is a measure for google search to analyze the credibility of author
Please share your SEO tips from your experience. I can update this post to help other developers.